sobota, 21 lutego 2009

Lektura The Autobiography of Charles Darwin (część I)

to bear - nosić, wnosić
The autobiography bears the heading, 'Recollections of the Development of my Mind and Character'

slip - pomyłka (to slip - poślizngąć się)
It has been found necessary to make a few corrections of obvious verbal slips

to amuse - śmieszyć, bawić, rozśmieszać
I have thought that the attempt would amuse me

recollection - wspomnienie
my earliest recollection goes back only to when I was a few months over four years old

falsehood - kłamstwo, fałsz
I may here also confess that as a little boy I was much given to inventing deliberate falsehoods

to astonish - zadziwiać, zdumiewać
I dropped the cakes and ran for dear life, and was astonished by being greeted with shouts of laughter by my false friend Garnett

innate - wrodzony
I doubt indeed whether humanity is a natural or innate quality.

bravado - brawura
I never took more than a single egg out of a bird's nest, except on one single occasion, when I took all, not for their value, but from a sort of bravado.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz