poniedziałek, 2 marca 2009

Lektura The Autobiography of Charles Darwin (część III)

acquaint - zapoznawać, zaznajamiać
I became acquainted with the curator of the museum

amusement - zabawa, rozrywka, radość
My summer vacations during these two years were wholly given up to amusements

knapsack - chlebak, mała torba
I took a long walking tour with two friends with knapsacks on our backs through North wales

agreeable - miły, zgodny, skłonny
and in the evening there was much very agreeable conversation, not so personal as it generally is in large family parties, together with music

swerve - skręcić, sprowadzić (na złą drogę)
I do not believe that any power on earth could
have made him swerve an inch from what he considered the right course.


clergyman - duchowny
he proposed that I should become a clergyman

divinity - teologia, boskość, bóstwo
I read with care 'Pearson on the Creed,' and a few other books on divinity

inoculate - szczepić, zaszczepić
He inoculated me with a taste for pictures and good engravings

sublimity - wzniosłość, majestatyczność, wspaniałość
Sebastian del Piombo exciting in me a sense of sublimity

I am so utterly destitute of an ear - kompletnie nie mam słuchu (muzycznego)

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz