środa, 11 marca 2009

Lektura The Autobiography of Charles Darwin (część IV)

intimate - bliski
and with whom I became extremely intimate

indelible - niezatarty, niezmywalny
I am surprised what an indelible impression many of the beetles which I caught at Cambridge have left on my mind.

to know every branch of science - znać każdą gałąź nauki
to reverence - czcić, szanować, okazywać szacuncek
I had heard of him from my brother as a man who knew every branch of science, and I was accordingly prepared to reverence him.

don - nauczyciel akademicki
I was called by some of the dons "the man who walks with Henslow;"

tinge - odcień, zabarwienie
vanity - próźność
He was free from every tinge of vanity or other petty feeling

to rouse - pobudzić, poderwać, zbudzić
indignation - oburzenie
he could be roused by any bad action to the warmest indignation

dense - gęsty
glimpse - rzucić okiem, ujrzeć (na moment)
the crowd was so dense that I got only a few momentary glimpses of the wretched creatures

trifling - nieistotny, drobny, mały
I cannot resist mentioning a trifling incident

to infer - wnioskować, dedukować
Looking back, I infer that there must have been something in me a little superior to the common run of youths

preposterous - niedorzeczny
I remember one of my sporting friends, Turner, who saw me at work with my beetles, saying that I should some day be a Fellow of the Royal Society, and the notion seemed to me preposterous.

to endeavour - usiłować, starać się
some of the party declared they would endeavour to go there

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz